Sunday, October 10, 2010

An Invitation

So, this is an art blog, and I will primarily focus on my artistic processes and how my current concepts and works are developing. I understand if you’re wondering why out of all the million things and people and events and thoughts and schedules and feelings that create the humming rhythm of my life I would spotlight this one small aspect, but quite frankly, the only thing that really needs this kind of public attention is my artwork. It was hard enough to convince my boyfriend to make our relationship Facebook official. To make everything public, including all those tiny tidbits that engender meaningful experiences, would probably be even more complicated and more unnecessary. I’d rather you just call me if you’re really that curious.

I am firm believer, however, that art is meant to be shared. I have sat through countless conversations in which one artist or another passionately states, “Art is a conversation. It’s a dialogue. The viewer and the work must speak to each other.” I guess I shouldn’t be the only one “talking” to my art. Unfortunately, I am terrified to share my art, partly because it’s just as personal as my thoughts and feelings, but mainly because it can be criticized so effortlessly. My thoughts and feelings usually don’t undergo thorough critiques. My artwork does every other week. Yet, despite these hard facts, it’s really important to me that I don’t keep it all to myself. I want you to see this. I want you to get it. If you don’t, I want to know because I want to make it better. I find this essential.

I also feel like I shouldn’t just show you the finished product. That’s cool and all, but that’s not the purpose of this blog. I want to show you how everything develops, moving beyond the actual work to the concepts and ideas that evolve with it. Trust me, it’d be so much easier for me to just give you my artwork as a whole, completed, satisfying, finished product, but I want to take my viewers on the journey I undergo every time I pick up a paintbrush (or whatever I’m using these days).

So, this is your invite. Consider yourself officially welcomed to this small but significant part of my life.

2 comments:

  1. What does it say that I am uncomfortable that there is no programmed button here for me to click and thereby show my approval/enthusiasm for what you have written. yikes. But. I do like it. Looking forward to reading what you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, and I love blogs, and I LOVE your artwork. This is exciting.

    ReplyDelete